barbaradowneyhightower

Babs Book Bistro

Reviews books, post recipes and tips.

Marian's Christmas Wish

Marian's Christmas Wish - Carla Kelly I am part of Carla's blog tour for the 26th of November. Here is the review and hope you will stop by on the 26th to see what she has to say.

Marian is headstrong in certain areas. She is smart if not smarter than some men she knows. She has been handling the house affairs as her brother is out and abroad. When their mother writes to Percy, ( Marian’s older brother ) to come home. Marian and Aridane, ( her older sister ) are not to thrilled as Aridane is in love with the Vicar in town. They are afraid Percy will not like the match as he can bring nothing to the marriage. They are also afraid of Percy learning of Alastar’s early arrival home from school. This will be their last Christmas in the house as their father left them in debt. When Percy shows up with 2 men in tow the girls don’t know what to think except that one of them is going to have to marry for money. Marian doesn’t want to ever marry and will go with the flow of things.

The two men that Percy bring home are Lord Gilbert Ingraham and Sir William who are both diplomats along with Percy. Sir William reminds me so much of Mr Collins in P&P, although 10 times worse. Sir William is wealthy enough just like their mom wanted, but thinks he knows everything and doesn’t care who he offends or where. Lord Gilbert is more gentle. He helps Marian with her momma cat when she has babies.
Will Marian’s Christmas wish come true?

I adored this story, reminds me so much of Jane Austen’s writing and I love the regency era. Carla Kelly is a remarkable writer. The book flows well and keep your interest. Marian reminds me of Elizabeth Bennett in some ways. The characters are well thought through and enjoyed seeing each of them interact. This is the first book I have read by Carla, but it will not be the last. I was very pleased with the book.

*** I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book – which I have done.***